Friday, January 15, 2010

Announcements: Book Progress And Upcoming Readathon

Last night, I made up to chapter eight in Meadowlark. Normally I don't go into details about a book that I'm reading since the nature of my project involves basically reading a book like I would a newspaper and then dispensing with it and moving on. However, I think I'll make an exception this time, but it'll just be a few noteworthy things.

The main female character, Becky is expecting a child out of wedlock.  There's no chance of the father of the child returning anytime soon. When she almost drowns, someone by the name of Garrick, whom she eventually marries, rescues her. The nature of the marriage is one of convenience, but that's okay because the story takes place in 1870, when that sort of thing was more understandable. And of course, they do have a few bumps in the road (but what couple doesn't). For instance the only thing that Becky knows how to cook is cornmeal and beans. Garrick is sick of this, so Becky turns to someone to teach her to cook other things; in return she offers to do repair work on clothing. (It kind of reminds me of myself. My own "cooking skills" are kind of limited. Most of what I do know how to cook is convenience-type stuff, soup, scrambled eggs, and spaghetti.) Garrick isn't that great with communicating with her, but he'll probably try to work on that.

By the way, barring unforseen circumstances, two weeks from today, I will be participating in a read-a-thon where the goal is to devote a cumulative 24 hours of reading in one week.  The details can be seen here: http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/6/6648521/16

During that time, I will update reading time as well as how far along I am on the particular book(s) I am on at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment