Saturday, October 30, 2010

Miss Scissors: Reading is the Key Part 2

[Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was unable to get this finished and posted as soon as I would have liked to. Click here for part one.]

ModMouse: Well, if I'm going to be here for a while, I might as well get some read to pass the time.
(Opens up copy of The Promise.) Maybe I can just get the 24 hours over with. (Reads remainder of a chapter.) I'm so tired. Maybe I'll get the rest of the time in tomorrow.

(The next morning. ModMouse wakes up.)

ModMouse: Isn't that something? I had this dream last night where I'm held hostage in some empty house, but it's still has furniture and everything in it and that I had to do 24 hours worth of reading in a week if I wanted to make it out alive. (Looks around her.) Apparently it wasn't a dream. (Finds a shirt and pants to wear, dresses then heads downstairs. TV turns on and Molly appears.)

Molly: Good. I see you're awake and that you have fulfilled four minutes of reading.

ModMouse: How would you know?

Molly: I have cameras installed, and if you will recall, the locks on the door have timers and any minute of reading that you do is taken off the timer until you have fulfilled a whole hour.

ModMouse: (walks up to door and sees that the timer on one lock says :56) Oh, right.

Molly: Anyway, there's something I should tell you about.

ModMouse: Another rule I don't know about?

Molly: Not exactly. Surely you have heard the saying that if you want something done, you should ask a busy person.

ModMouse: Yeah, so?

Molly: If you thought you had every minute available to you until the end of Friday, it could be very tempting to blow off the reading until the last minute. Therefore, I'm going to make you appreciate the time you do have on your hands. Throughout this game, there will be times when a wall will glow, which will take you to a realm indicating some outside business that you have. Whatever book you are on will be sealed unless you enter the realm to fulifill said business. Only after you have accomplished said business will you be able to exit the realm and continue reading. Be careful, though. Even when you are in said realm, if you have not fulfilled the 24 hours, the red gas from remaining locks will still be released and come to you and only affect you.

ModMouse: Nice.

Molly: Your first piece of business in the realm will be this afternoon when your sister needs you to come get her child. You should expect it roughly around 1:30 or 2. Unlike most of the other instances during the week, you should be able to take the books with you and read a bit when and if you have the time. You will be able to exit the realm on Sunday, though that time will depend your sister. I'd take time to prepare accordingly prepare for the weekend away if I were you.

ModMouse: Okay, so I'll pack and then fill the rest of the time by reading.

Molly: There's one more thing ModMouse. While you were sleeping, I also had a chip installed in you so that if you should attempt to mention the read-a-thon to your sister or anyone else, it will send a mild shock.

ModMouse: Okay, so I won't mention this to anyone.

Molly: I wish you the best of luck. Oh yes, I will be checking in once in a while.

(TV shuts off.)

ModMouse: Okay, so I'll take care of some stuff here and then the wall will glow at 1:30.

(1:30 in the afternoon.)

ModMouse: It's not glowing.

(2:00 in the afternoon.)

ModMouse: Okay, I don't know what is taking so long, but then maybe that doll was bluffing.

(2:15. Wall glows. In comes sister.)

Sister: Are you ready to go?

(ModMouse and Sister enter realm.)

While on the way to Sister's house, ModMouse managed to get 37 minutes of reading done on her book The Promise when she had to pause in order to get something out of the glove compartment.  After that, she managed to get the remainder of the book read, which took another 12 minutes, after which time the book vanished. As she was busy with her nephew that night, she was unable to get in any more reading until far later in the night. When she was able to read some more, she began the first chapter of The Passing Bells, and according to the clock on her cell phone, she only got in one more minute of reading. This would leave her with six minutes of reading that she needed to still do before the first lock could be disabled. Will she get enough reading time in to get that first lock undone? Tune in for another part of Miss Scissors: Reading is the Key.

No comments:

Post a Comment