Sunday, July 17, 2011

Progress on Current Read and a Bad Book Habit I Am Trying to Break

Today, I read chapter twenty-one in The Pursuit. Yesterday, I had folded the corner of the page I had planned on starting on today, a practice commonly known as "dogearing" as opposed to the use of a bookmark or comparable means to mark one's place in a book. I mostly do the former with books that I own; however, if the book is from the library or otherwise does not belong to me, I'm more careful to do the latter.
While in my head, dogearing wasn't the most ideal thing to do, up until last night, it didn't really occur to me of how wrong this behavior was until I read a post from my bookcrossing friend Mozette about the evils of dogearing. I had no idea that, not only was I not doing as much justice to the book itself or whoever owned it (if it belonged to someone besides myself, but like I said I'm more likely to dogear books that belong to me), but I was being disrespectful to the author of the book. (As someone who's in the process of editing three novels of her own, you'd think that would've crossed my mind, but it hasn't, even though what I don't know can't offend me.) After I read that post, and left a comment, I felt so guilty that I unfolded the corner of the page that had been dogeared and stuck a Bath and Body Works ad, which was the closest thing to me, in the book instead.

And there are other reasons I really ought not to engage in such laziness and problematic stewardship. For one thing, it is not the best behavior for my nine-year-old nephew (in front of whom I have a history of making mistakes, which doesn't do his mom/my sister any favors) or my future niece (who is due in late August) or any children I might have myself (if I'm lucky enough to have any) to emulate. Also, having grown up on Christianity, I try to be mindful of the fact that God is watching everything I do, and the laziness/sloppiness associated with dogearing surely does not glorify him. (In fact, any behavior that is remotely problematic doesn't if you think about it, especially if it does any kind of disservice to someone else.)

Therefore, I have resolved to make every effort never to dogear again. I will be sure to have something to stick in the book (actual bookmark or otherwise) instead. Also, in the event that the bookmark should fall out, or I can't find anything convenient to mark my place, I may try to write down somewhere what page I'm on and maybe the phrase I left off on it. Hopefully, the time will come where there is absolutely no danger of me dogearing ever again.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no.... I didn't mean to make you feel so guilty about dogearing. :(

    It's something that my Grandpa broke me from doing when I was young; and so I thought that - seeing I'm keeping my 12 year old niece from doing the dogearing thing - I can help others from doing it too by using lovely bookmarks... not make it sound like a disease :P

    ReplyDelete